What we've been doing on Intranet.org
April 15, 2012:
Upgraded Book (DNS) from Debian Lenny to Debian Squeeze.
October 2, 2011:
Upgraded Lorien from Debian Lenny to Debian Squeeze.
May 22, 2011:
Upgraded from PHP4 to PHP5.
May 15, 2011:
April 03, 2011:
Neil (on behalf of the web committee) deployed the new design for the www.intranet.org
Migrated apache-ssl sites into apache2. Apache-ssl was no longer being updated. This effort was part of an ongoing project to remove unsupported packages.
November 28, 2010:
Upgraded the version of VMware ESXi to 4.1
September 19, 2010:
Completed the process of adding an external secondary DNS.
June 20, 2010:
Upgraded the DNS machine from Etch to Lenny.
April 11, 2010:
Upgraded the distribution from Etch to Lenny.
August 30, 2009:
Changed the hardware of intranet's main machine (Lorien)
and migrated it to a virtual machine running under VMWare.
Jan 4, 2009:
Upgraded the distribution from Sarge to Etch.
through July 1, 2008:
The Sarge distribution of Debian discontinued support,
so we have to upgrade. Today, we completed the upgrade of the DNS/DNS2
machine, which was a good test for the upcoming upgrade for the main
intranet machine (lorien).
through May 1, 2007:
OS updates have been applied every 1 to 2 weeks.
We went through a number of backup solutions. Numerous attempts to use
an external USB drive did not work. We now have nightly backups to the
old serenity machine, which is behind a separate firewall.
Thursday January 25, 2007:
Changed Lorien to boot on the bare hardware instead
of running as a virtual machine instance. It now has 1GB of memory
Sunday January 19, 2007:
Moved lorien.intranet.org to a
temporary new host for troubleshooting purposes (try #2).
Thursday December 28, 2006:
Upgraded to version 3.1.7 of
SpamAssassin using the Sarge Backports version
Moved lorien.intranet.org back
to its old host due to stability problems on the temporary host.
Thursday June 8, 2006:
Moved lorien.intranet.org to a
temporary new host for troubleshooting purposes.
Monday June 5, 2006:
Switched back to the original
User-Mode-Linux kernel since the new kernel seems to be even more
unstable than the first one.
Friday June 2, 2006:
Built and installed a new 2.4.27
User-Mode-Linux kernel for lorien.intranet.org which should make more
memory available to user processes.
Saturday May 20, 2006:
Restored the original 2.4.27
User-Mode-Linux kernel. With the 2.6.16 kernel in place most of the
services were crashing as soon as anyone connected to them. Also
removed the USB 2.0 drive since we crashed the host system trying to
free space on the drive.
Friday May 19, 2006:
Installed a new 2.6.16 User-Mode-Linux
kernel hoping to improve system stability on Lorien.
April of 2006:
Ongoing attempts to reduce system load.
Mostly changing Spam Assassin settings. Also set up a backup system
using an external USB 2.0 hard drive.
Thursday March 23, 2006:
Installed an updated version of pine.
It must be built from a source package unlike most things, so it
didn't get upgraded with the rest of the system. Hopefully this will
clear up some of the pine crashes and locked mailboxes.
Saturday February 11, 2006:
Moved Lorien from K6-2 450 machine to a
User-Mode-Linux instance running on a 2.4 GHz Xeon machine. This has
been in the works for a long time. At the same time, the system was
upgraded from a mixed Debian Woody/Sarge Testing environment to a
uniform Sarge Stable environment.
Thursday February 9, 2006:
Put new self-signed SSL certificates in
place for mail and web servers on Lorien to replace the long expired
ones that were there previously.
Thursday September 8, 2005:
Moved some volumes around on Lorien
(using bind mounts) to more effectively use the new disk added
Sunday May 8, 2005:
Added a new disk to Lorien to help with
space problems. Mail was completely filling the file system.